Designing printed circuit boards is just one part of manufacturing an electronic product. The next step is printed circuit board assembly, simply called PCB assembly. If you check any PCB assembly process tutorial, you will realize that the steps are essentially same. For those who don’t know, printed circuit board assembly is all about soldering the electronic components to the PCB, so that everything works together. Previously, a soldering machine was used for the process, and it would be all about manual work. Today, manual PCB assembly is still done, but for large orders, automated technologies are extremely popular and certainly more effective. In this post, we have a list of steps involved in the process.
- Getting things ready. Once the PCB is ready, it is checked again to find any possible fault or issue within the product. The solder paste is then readied, and everything else, like the BOM list and Gerber file are kept together. The dryness of the printed circuit board is then checked, the solder paste printing is the done using stencils.
- Before the actual soldering process begins, the PCB will be checked again to ensure that there are no issues that must be fixed before the soldering process.
- To get the components on the PCB, the “pick and place machine” is used, which helps in getting things as per the requirements. The PCB is also checked before reflow soldering again to avoid any possible flaw.
- Finally, the components are installed on the PCB. There’s usually a drying area for the same, after which the PCB is placed on the preheating and welding area. Finally, once the components have been installed, the PCB is placed in the “cooling” area.
- Testing is a comprehensive and important step in print circuit board assembly process and must be done as per norms and standards. This is further followed by quality inspection, to make sure that each PCB is working as per the design and requirements.
- Finally, the PCBs are then shipped, often packed in “antistatic” bags. The shipping time depends on the service, and for bulk orders, it may take a while.
Finding more on PCB assembly
If you want to know more on PCB assembly production, contact a reliable service that can take care of both manufacturing and assembly at the same time. PCB assembly services are used by some of the biggest giants and manufacturers, simply because they are focused on each of the steps listed above, and are extremely effective in testing and quality control. You just need to get a quote and share the prototype, if you already have it that is.
Check online now to find more on PCB assembly services.